Quality sleep is vital to wellbeing.
Unfortunately, problems like stress, bullying, and unhealthy use of technology can take their toll on teenage sleep.
What can parents do to help?
With your teens, draw up a family tech plan. This might include:
- Keep everyone's phones out of bedrooms at night; charge them in a common area instead.
- Turn off video games and social media at least an hour before bed, and avoid TV shows that leave you feeling agitated or scared. Replace them with something relaxing.
- Turn off notifications overnight.
- Explore apps which disable your devices after a certain time.
Try to keep a healthy routine, including:
- Go to bed and get up at regular times.
- Get plenty of sunlight and exercise during the day.
- Keep bedrooms dark and quiet.
- Avoid caffeine in the evenings
- Explore meditation apps for kids.