FIRE crews attended a William Street address in Stawell Monday afternoon after the residents detected the smell of smoke issuing from their heater.
Residents notified authorities about 3.30pm and a tanker and pumper attended from the Stawell and Great Western.
Country Fire Authority District 16 officer Wayne Hirth said when crews arrived there was no sign of fire or smoke.
"It's quite possible that they've (the residents) turned the heater on and it's burned a piece of dust or something," he said.
"They have requested an electrician or gas fitter to come out and test it."
No injuries were reported.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday morning from the Stawell Times-News. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the Northern Grampians shire, sign up here.