A 14-year-old girl will be monitored overnight at Stawell Hospital after suffering a snake bite at the Grampians on Monday afternoon.
Emergency services were called at about midday after the teenager stepped on a snake walking along the track near the Sundial car park.
“She stood on the snake accidentally and it has reacted, biting her on the lower part of her right leg,” Stawell SES controller Alan Blight said.
“We are unsure of exactly what species snake it was that bit her.”
Read more: Snake season well and truly here
The girl was able to make her way back to the car park before being transported to Stawell Hospital.
“She was pretty shaken as you can imagine, but she did everything right before being moved to hospital.,” Mr Blight said.
“It serves as a reminder to look where you are walking.”
The woman was in a “quite stable” condition at Stawell Hospital on Monday afternoon. She was administered anti-venom and will be monitored for the next 24 hours.
“She will undergo the full treatment for a snake bite,” a Stawell Hospital spokeswoman said.
“A full assessment will take place including blood tests and a toxicologist will be talked to.”
More to come.