An unregistered burn-off was lit at a Stawell property on Monday night during the Fire Danger Period.
Sergeant Silas Stephens of Stawell said the burn-off breached the Fire Danger Period restrictions that were effective from 1am on Monday, November 30.
"Police responded to a call from Stawell CFA at 9pm Monday, November 30," he said.
"The call was in relation to a burn off in a backyard of a house in Seaby Street.
"The resident was burning off green waste in the rear yard. He did not have a permit, and they may receive a summons to attend the court.
"The fire restrictions are in place - CFA and police will be called to fires during the Fire Danger Period. It will be investigated and you may face court proceedings."
IN OTHER NEWS:
CFA District 16 assistant chief fire officer Bernie Fradd said they had a zero-tolerance approach to any fires caused by negligent behaviour, once the Fire Danger Period comes into effect.
"Expect any escaped or uncontrolled fire you start to be investigated by CFA and Victoria Police," he said.
Mr Fradd said people need to be aware that if using fire to clean up around their properties they need to register these on 1800 668 511.
"So far this year, out-of-control burn-offs and unregistered burn-offs have already caused unnecessary callouts to brigades," he said.
"You should not burn-off when winds are high or high winds are forecast - not only on the day of your burn but for the days afterwards.
"For information about burn-off restrictions specific to your area, consult your local council."
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox from the Stawell Times-News. To make sure you're up-to-date with all the news from across the region, sign up here.
If you are seeing this message you are a loyal digital subscriber to The Stawell Times-News, as we made this story available only to subscribers. Thank you very much for your support and allowing us to continue telling Stawell's story. We appreciate your support of journalism in our great town.