Fire reduces historic Wallaloo Park wool shed to rubble

A Wallaloo Park wool shed set to host 400 people next month for a ram sale was devastated by fire on Monday.

The 170-year-old shed was reduced to a blackened crisp after an electrical fault from the motor of a refrigerator sparked the blaze.

District 16 Country Fire Authority operations manager Neville Collins said the site had “significant historical value” and had been functioning as part of a sheep stud farm. 

“There were rams in the area which had to be removed while the fire was burning,” he said. 

“Sadly the site could not be saved and it burned to the ground.”

The owners of the property were in Hamilton setting up a sheep exhibit when the incident occurred. 

“The shed was an older construction and had stud shearing equipment inside,” Mr Collins said. 

“Lucky no one was hurt, but sadly the owners’ trip to Hamilton was cut short and had to rush home because of what has happened.” 

The shed was expected to host 400 people for a ram sale next month, but was now just a space of blackened earth and charred rubble.  

Mr Collins warned other property owners about how easily these disasters could happen. 

“People must be mindful of any machinery and appliances, and in this case, refrigerators,” he said.

“Even though the refrigerator was only a couple of years old, fires can still start and electrical faults can still occur.

“Even it being one of the newer models, it still did not alleviate the terrible situation.”

Marnoo, Wallaloo East and Rupanyup Country Fire Authority brigades were called out to the blaze at 10.20am and left the site at 4.30pm. 

Specialist fire investigators also attended and assessed the scene. 


Discuss "Fire destroys historic Wallaloo Park shed | Photos"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.