Swifts into cut throat final

A GALLANT CKS Swifts will rely on their second chance after they fell just short of victory against Kalkee in the qualifying final of the Horsham District Football League.

It was a slow first quarter for both teams with strong winds affecting the disposal efficiency.

Swifts were the first team to open their account with a strong goal from Richard Thomas.

Gathering possession in their defensive 50 and hitting targets up the ground allowed Swifts to set Thomas up with the first shot.

It was not long after that Kalkee replied with a goal of their own.

Starting the second term with a one point advantage Kalkee looked to press early.

With the additional pressure being applied, Swifts were forced to work harder to get the ball out of defence.

Kicking just one goal to the Kees five, Swifts were down 29 points at the main break.

Injured coach Ben Martin, who was a late withdrawal, was disappointed with their second quarter.

"We made a lot of errors in the second quarter," Martin said.

"We played two quarters of ordinary football, one average quarter and one good quarter. You don't win finals like that."

After a rev up at half time Swifts came out with a different intent and a burst of energy.

Within minutes the deficit had been destroyed and Swifts had worked their way to the front.

"It was one or two players that stood up," Martin said.

"Once we kicked a couple, our confidence grew and we were a better team."

Julian Carr was able to kick two of the five unanswered goals, but it was the backline that was getting on top.

Sean Mantell was dominant through the midfield for Swifts in the third term, but the experienced midfield of Kalkee was always going to fight back.

An injury to Richard Thomas saw Swifts down one rotation in the final quarter and this may have been the difference.

Thomas landed heavily on his knee prior to half time and was sent to hospital for scans.

The worst was expected, but it might not be as bad as first thought.

Swifts looked to be run off their feet as Kalkee was able to kick away and win by 25 points.

"There is only so long you can play catch up football," Martin said.

"We spent way too much petrol trying to get back into the game and then we couldn't run it out."

Sean Mantell was the best player for Swifts, followed by Ricky Whitehead, Nick Pickering, Jakob Davis, Richard Thomas and Aaron Chavasse.

The final score was Swifts 8.8.56 defeated by Kalkee 11.15.81.

Swifts will now clash with Edenhope/Apsley in Saturday's first semi final at Laharum.


Discuss "Swifts into cut throat final"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.