Stawell gallant in defeat

A defiant Stawell Westlift Warriors team has gone down, but not without a fight in their match against Wimmera League rivals Ararat.

Defender Zac Marrow was once again amongst the best in Stawell's loss against arch rival Ararat.

Defender Zac Marrow was once again amongst the best in Stawell's loss against arch rival Ararat.

Stawell kicked the opening goal of the game after the ball had travelled between the two fifties for the majority of the quarter.

After Stawell hit the scoreboard early with mostly behinds, Ararat had their first taste of success when power forward Beau Cosson slotted one through.

Stawell answered through Brenton Potter after he received a 50 metre penalty, which put him directly in front on the goal line.

Despite Stawell having possession of the football for most of the opening quarter, sharp kicking from Ararat saw them just four points behind at the first break.

The second term saw Warriors slip behind in what was a disappointing quarter for the visiting side.

"The second quarter really cost us," coach Brad Cassidy said.

"After a strong first quarter we let ourselves down."

Cosson was again dominant, bringing his goal kicking total to five before half time as the Rats extended their lead to 32 points.

Stawell kicked just one goal in the second term.

The second half saw an increase in determination and endeavour from Stawell, only it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.

Cassidy made the call for Scott Rathgeber to do a job on Cosson which he did well, containing him to one goal after half time.

Midway through the third quarter Chris Ford was on the end of a nasty marking contest where front on contact was made and it was lights out.

Ford lay on the ground motionless while the trainers took the stretcher out onto the field.

Spot fires between the two clubs were appearing all over the ground while a melee took place in front of the grandstand full of supporters.

Play continued for some time before the ball was called back and Ford was taken from the ground.

Ford took no further part in the game and after three quarter time Matt Austin also put a jumper on and was done for the day.

Austin played limited game time in the second half, but added a touch of class to the line up when he was out there.

"After coming back from a dislocated shoulder I was pretty pleased with his efforts," Cassidy said.

"He has had eight or nine weeks off injured, but his first quarter was awesome. I think he will be happy with his first run and the boys loved playing with him."

Austin will have his second run for the club this weekend when they take on Nhill.

Stawell kicked three goals straight in the final quarter with two coming off the boot of Shane Field.

Aidan Potter was again the best player on the ground for Warriors with youngsters Sam Williams, Zac Marrow and Jarrod Illig amongst the better players.

The final score was Ararat 14.11.95 defeating Stawell 8.10.58.


Discuss "Stawell gallant in defeat"

Please note: All comments made or shown here are bound by the Online Discussion Terms & Conditions.