Man refueling boat sparks large fire at Stawell home

ABLAZE: A man refueling his boat turned disastrous after it caught fire beneath a carport and took Country Fire Authority crews 40 minutes to control. PICTURE: Peter Pickering

ABLAZE: A man refueling his boat turned disastrous after it caught fire beneath a carport and took Country Fire Authority crews 40 minutes to control. PICTURE: Peter Pickering

A man refueling his boat sparked a large fire at his Sharpley Avenue home at Stawell before midday on Wednesday.

Ararat Country Fire Authority duty officer Alfred Mason said the man, 66, tried to put out the fire with a nine kilogram dry-chemical extinguisher, but the blaze was too big.  

“The fire spread into the shed and the heat from the fire even broke some windows but luckily it did not spread into the house,” he said.

“The blaze also spread to the timbers of the neighboring house and even their shed also but was quickly extinguished by fire authorities.

Local Business

“Both Stawell fire brigades were called out to the incident and controlled the blaze in 40 minutes.”

The man was taken to Stawell Regional Hospital with burns to his head and hands. 

Mr Mason said the incident was a reminder care should be taken when refueling.

“Hot motors or engines are ignition sources and you need to be careful when doing any refueling,” he said.

“The warmer weather is a big factor so we encourage everyone to be aware of their surroundings before using or conducting any activities related to fuel.”

Neighbour Jess Carroll heard three loud bangs and ran outside her house to see the boat up in flames. 

“They were three pretty loud bangs, it was definitely an explosion of something and I ran outside,” she said.

“Across the street the whole boat in the driveway and the side of the house was on fire.

“It was scary for everyone, the flames got the owner’s face and everything, his hair was burnt and had skin falling off his arms. 

“His wife just arrived at the house and was clearly in a lot of shock when she saw what was happening.”

An incident alert was issued by VIC Emergency just after the fire started on Wednesday warning smoke was visible in the area, but there was no threat to communities.

​Stawell Country Fire Authority, police and Ambulance Victoria attended the scene. 

Ararat, Great Western and Halls Gap fire brigades were requested for help from Stawell fire brigades, but were stopped after the fire was deemed safe.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop