Fire causes extensive damage to home

Extensive damage was caused to a residential home in Napier Street when flames engulfed the back rooms on Tuesday.

Stawell Fire Brigade was dispatched at 12.45pm to a fire in the back rooms of the three bedroom house.

The male occupant tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the fire with an extinguisher and garden hose and a woman was taken by ambulance to Stawell Hospital with smoke inhalation.

Fourteen Stawell Fire Brigade firefighters and three units attended and brought the blaze under control in 30 minutes.

A Country Fire Authority Fire Investigator determined that a scented candle had been dislodged by a running washing machine and the resulting fire caused extensive damage to the laundry and kitchen area.

Incident Controller Chris LeGassick praised the work of firefighters and noted that the new Protek hose nozzles, provided through Stawell Gold Mine's Community Grants, were used extensively in supressing the fire.

"The new nozzles improve the tactical response and safety of Fire Fighters and we are grateful for them," Chris said.

Estimated damage of $70,000 to the house structure resulted and the remainder of the house was significantly smoke damaged and is uninhabitable.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop